Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Salsa!

If you've ever made home-made salsa, you know it's worth the time. It's also very easy -- much more so than I thought it would be. The hardest part is deciding what kind of salsa you want to make.


In my blog posts I often mention my friends because that's who I eat with. My friend Joan and I have an agreement: I cook for her and she pays me with wine. It seems fair. Joan and I had a Mexican food night recently and I had to take her sensitivity to spicy foods into account. Crazy girl, she doesn't like her mouth to feel on fire. Since I know many people's spice-tolerance is in the mild-to-medium range, I will share the salsa recipe that I made for her.


Que quiere?:

2 tbsp canola oil
4 Anaheim peppers
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 red onion small diced
2 tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 handful chopped cilantro
salt to taste

Preheat oven to 450 F. Roast your peppers in the canola oil until the skin begins to brown and bubble. Let cool, then remove the stems and rinse the seeds from inside the pepper. Skin and de-seed your tomatoes, and tomato paste. In a food processor, puree your peppers, tomatoes and raw garlic until you reach your preferred consistency. Pour mixture into a large bowl and add your cilantro, onion and salt. Cover and chill in your refrigerator overnight. You can eat it the day you make it, but it's so much better if you let the flavors marry for a day.

Watch for more posts on our Mexican feast later this week!  


No comments:

Post a Comment